If you cannot get rid of the family skeleton, you may as well make it dance. George Bernard Shaw

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Throwback Thursday: Letter from Urah Whitehead to Anna Lee McQueen, 1919

Urah Whitehead as a young boy.




Today, for Throwback Thursday, I am sharing a letter from Urah Whitehead to his sister Anna Lee Whitehead McQueen. I previously shared a postcard from Urah to Anna Lee that you can see here.

Today's letter is dated the 4 March 1919 and is only about two weeks before the postcard was sent.













Although Scott McQueen would later go to work for the Gulf Oil Pump Station, at this time he was still living on his father, James Polk McQueen's property, probably in the log cabin, and was farming. Undoubtedly the rain hit them hard that year. As for the "babies," Urah is undoubtedly referring to Russell McQueen, aged 9, and Woodrow McQueen, aged 4. (Daughter Dagma had not yet been born.)

The full transcript of the letter is below.

Flagny, France
March 4, 1919

Mrs. Anna Lee Mcqueen
Chester Texas

dear Sister. I recd your letter to day. Was sure glad to hear from you all again. I was sure glad to know you all were well. Well Sister I know you all did have a good time with all the games and singing at your house. Gee but how I do wish I could have been there to heped you spread some Joy. Tell teh Babies that was sure sweet hello's they sent me. Well Sister you said you all were having so much rain over there that you all couldn't hardly do any thing. it very seldom ever ceases raining over here. I have been over here now very near eight months and we have not had as high as three days right straight a long with out it didn't rain some. Well Sister I don't know I am coming home but I guess it be some times this summer. I am well. i must say good-bye. With much love and many kisses to you all from your Bro in France 

Urah Whiteehad
36.M P. Co.
A. E. F.
A. P. O. 796



No comments:

Post a Comment